Sunday, September 03, 2006

51

Ever have mornings like this?

Ok, so this weekend, was insane to say the least. We had a Japanese comedian come on Saturday, and he was funny, but the audience's reaction was better. When I say "reaction," I mean toddlers storming the stage mid-performance and wandering around the stage whilst their mothers are no where to be seen. It is worse than dinner with the Bohlen's (that one's for the family ;-).

Afterwards, we took my science teacher's friends out to eat at one of the local Izekaya's. The aforementioned Izekaya has so far been one of my favorite places, and I frequent it often. During the middle of the meal, while the hostesses are piling plate after plate of food on our table, I reach for a french fry with my chopsticks. I notice it. A giant burn on the side of the french fry. "Jesus, isn't that odd, this is the only burnt fry..." Upon closer examination, IT WAS A COCKROACH THAT HAD SOMEHOW FALLEN INTO THE FRYING MACHINE AND BECAME "AFFIXED" TO THE FRENCH FRY!!! Mind you, this is in front of our "guests," and I am thinking "Lawsuit, holy sh*t these guys are going to sue that's what I would do!!" So, I show the Fry-roach to my good friend and he discretely puts it into an ash tray with not so much as a frown. I quickly grab a snapshot of it, because I want evidence... Not to get the Izekaya in trouble, but so I can prove to my friends, "Yes, I WAS at a restaurant where a roach was fried to a french fry and no one even remotely complained..." Later that night, when he is driving me home, I take the opportunity to talk about the roach, and he --get this-- didn't say a thing and further told me that it was a secret that I should keep! Wow, isn't that intense? That would NEVER happen in the U.S...

Today, we went fishing... Not necessarily the best day as there was basically nothing but wind and rain, but if you have a heavy-duty pole chances are you would have gotten one. I forget the name of the fish, but there were loads of them, they look like miniature Tuna... Anyway, the highlight was tonight when a local caught this Tuna that was easily 40-50 kilos, and bigger than most of my 5th graders. No joke about this, it was easily the biggest fish I have ever seen in person. On one hand, I was happy for the fisherman because it was a pretty intense struggle to catch this fish. Easily, 40+ minutes of fighting this mammoth in his own turf. That, and he is a good friend and fellow member of the baseball team. But on the other hand, it was kind of saddening seeing this majestic creature flopping around on the port as it was slowly choking/bleeding to death. If you are going to kill any part of nature, no biggie as long as you have some class about it. Get it out of the water and kill it. The fisherman let this Tuna struggle for it's life for at least 10-15 minutes before taking his hook and stabbing it in the brain. Although it is just a fish, you still have to admire a creature that even after all hope is lost, it keeps fighting relentlessly for it's life. And this Tuna was that fish...
 Posted by Picasa